Thursday, October 22, 2009

Legacy...




Don't know if these have shown up anywhere in black and white. Whenever I do these connecting pieces (and I've done quite a few of them now), I generally try to use some sort of unifying theme to try and have everything make sense. This cover was REALLY challenging in that regard. I chose to try and use Professor X's psychic blast as a means of showing little 'shifts' in time. The only real way to illustrate this without cluttering everything up EVEN MORE was to show these shifts via changes in the characters costume. While it seemed like a great idea at the time, after getting into the piece I realized that this only really hits home in color. For example, Wolverine and Magneto's costumes have changed a number of times but based on the time periods we chose to use, the little differences in fashion became pretty damn subtle at times. Gambit presented a real problem too, since I needed to give him the trench coat but couldn't remove it in the 'strips' that shifted into more of his present garb. Is this explanation just as confusing as the cover itself?

Best bits: Mohawk Storm and Professor X

Worst bits: Whatever that Robot character is called, Magneto, and Mystique.

9 comments:

  1. Wow thats intense! Thats a lot of infomation to fit on three sheets of paper! can't understand why you dont like magneto, I think it captures his caracter quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Storm needs to make a comeback--and they need your pic for reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this turned out pretty bad ass.
    But then again, any piece that has wolverine in it is bad ass to me.

    and - mohawk storm is the best storm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one - I'm a huge fan of 'Mohawk Storm' - I think it is one of the unsung ways that Marvel kept in touch with the public, having one of their key characters go punk.

    At least then she looked like she could kick butt and not just like another spandex diva.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. this is a magnificent piece! Lee you rock! How big was the drawing all put together? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Whatever that robot character is called" made me lol. Have you ever done a tutorial on your technique? I'd like to rip off.. I mean learn from you. Great stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Lee, if i may ask does the magneto costume looks like ozymadias one in watchmen...maybe u drawn some inspiration there...just an observation of course...

    ReplyDelete
  8. NICE. I really appreciate the draftmanship and use of line and tone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wandering around and found your site. Really interesting art and love the detail to costume design. Thanks for the vibes, very positive although a little dark. (that's a good thing)

    ReplyDelete